Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Two hours trying to concentrate (trying, trying...)


I ran from FEMA to our house tonight via the Capital Crescent trail.  The change of seasons is so much closer to you when you run.  I ran the same basic route just a week ago and it was much lighter out.  By the time I turned off onto Massachusetts, it was pitch black out.  A biker passed me on trail and griped me out for not having a light.  I deserved it.


When I run I try to stop thinking.  I have an unruly mind.  It's not that I have so many important things to think about, I just roll along, thinking, worrying, thinking of music (I'm listening to the guitar solo from Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way right now).  I never give it a rest.  So I'm never fully present in the moment I'm in.

I try to get away from that when I run.  I listen to the sounds around me and try to hear the sounds, and not my impression of the sounds.  I'm very seldom successful at this venture.  I'm horrible at sitting meditation for just this reason.  In a two hour run, I probably manage about five really good minutes when I'm not worrying about something.  When running, only running.  Yep, I'll get right on that (as soon as I'm done worrying about....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments blog posts over 14 days old. This keeps a lot of spam away. I generally am all right about moderating. Thanks for understanding.