Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Adobe 8.0 installation error: how to beat it

This morning I decided I was going to upgrade to Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.0. I tried to do the installation directly from the Adobe web page (http://www.acrobat.com), but I continuously got this error message:




You're resuming a download, but the file on the server has changed. Would you like to restart the download process?


After about five tries at this I got annoyed. The simple solution is this (as long as you are on a Microsoft Windows machine: Download the file directly from Adobe's FTP site:




  1. In explorer, open ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/8.x/8.0/enu/

  2. Download "AdbeRdr80_en_US.exe" by Right-clicking it and choosing "Save As..."

  3. Run the resulting file



I don't know what caused this error, but this simple solution gets rid of it. If you are on a different operating system, you can still go to the FTP site, but you'll have to fish around a little to find your file.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments blog posts over 14 days old. This keeps a lot of spam away. I generally am all right about moderating. Thanks for understanding.