Thursday, June 29, 2006

Beau and Elena's Wedding/La Boda de Beau y Elena

I had the huge and unexpected honor of marrying my friends, Beau and Elena, while we were visiting Spain. Beau and Elena were the people who we evacuated from Katrina with. Here is what I said:

...Y ya llegamos al final de la boda y el comienzo del matrimonio. Sólo os puedo compartir mis propias experiencias con vosotros.

...And now we've come to the end of the wedding and the beginning of the marriage. I can only share my own experiences with you.

Hace unos años conocí a una chica catalana. Era muy guapa. Nos reimos y lo pasamos bien juntos, y al final de un tiempo decidimos casarnos. No tuvimos ni idea de que haciamos.

About seven years ago I met a Catalan girl. She was very pretty. We laughed a lot and had a good time together, and after a while we decided to get married. We had no idea what we were doing.

Sònia y yo hemos experimentado, como decis, la prosperidad y la adversidad. Han habido momentos en los que nos hemos preguntado, "¿y porqué no me hubiera podido enamorarme de alguien de mi propio pais?"

Sònia and I have experienced, as you say, better and worse. There have been moments when we have asked ourselves, "why couldn't I have fallen in love with someone from my own country?"

Nos dijeron en nuestra boda que, como mínimo, uno de nosotros siempre seria extranjero.

They told us in our wedding that at least one of us would always be a foreigner.

El otro día pregunté a Daniel, nuestro hijo de cuatro años, "¿y porqué la gente se casa?". Me dijo sin dudar, "porque quieren". Lo he dado muchas vueltas y me he dado cuenta que Dan tenía razon. Nos casamos porque queremos, como de razones prácticas hay pocas.

The other day I asked Daniel, our four year old son, "so why do people get married?". He responded without a pause, "because they want to." I've thought about it a lot, and I've realized that Dan was right: we get married because we want to, since there aren't many practical reasons to do so.

Así que os presento el Señor y la Señora Lambert: dos personas, poco prácticas, que se casan porque quieren, y porque se quieren muchisimo.

So I present to you Mr. and Mrs. Lambert: two impractical people who got married because they wanted to, and because they love each other very much.

You may kiss the bride...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments blog posts over 14 days old. This keeps a lot of spam away. I generally am all right about moderating. Thanks for understanding.