Thursday, June 1, 2006

35:57 Vine St/BF Parkway - The Roches, "Keep on Doing"

I haven't run much since I started doing yoga-- in fact, I think this is only the second time. This was a good run. It was pretty hot and humid out; however, I'm now one of those Bikram Yoga whackos so heat doesn't bother me much. No injuries, aches, pains, etc, either. Just a nice fast run.

I listened to The Roches, "Keep on Doing". I originally bought this album on vinyl when I was at the Naval Academy at Oceans II records (anyone remember that?). I pretty much got it because I had seen The Roches on Saturday Night Live singing the Hallelujah Chorus, and that was on this album. Now I pretty much skip that song.

The Roches are great. They do really tight harmonies, and on this album they were backed by Robert Fripp of King Crimson, which was just weird enough to work (I think one of them was dating Fripp). I really liked "Losing True" and "The Road to Fairfax County", but skipped over some of the sappier stuff. I guess I liked "Largest Elizabeth in the World" when I was in college, but it's stopped working for me. On the other hand, I never really got "The Scorpion Lament" when I was in school, but now I kind of understand it better.

I also listened to Will Farrell's version of the Starland Vocal Band's "Afternoon Delight". The funny thing is that the harmonies in this remind me of the harmonies of The Roches. I know it was a ready-made parody of itself, but I have to agree: "Afternoon Delight" is the finest composition in human history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments blog posts over 14 days old. This keeps a lot of spam away. I generally am all right about moderating. Thanks for understanding.